January 20, 2015
Best Foods for New Braces: Snacks
When you’ve gotten new braces, you’ll probably feel moderate discomfort for a few days as you get used to the pressure from the wires slowly guiding and rotating your teeth into their new positions. To help get used to your treatment, we always recommend that you eat soft foods for a few days, and there’s even a list of things that we’d recommend you avoid while you’re wearing your braces, like whole apples, crunchy foods like carrot sticks, and chewy foods like bread or steak.So, what can you eat? There are lots of softer, but still really delicious options out there for you to discover, so you won’t ever have to have to resort to eating something boring! Here are two of our favourite healthy snacks: a classic guacamole as well as quick to make and delicious devilled eggs.
3 avocados halved, seeded and peeled1 juiced lime½ teaspoon salt½ teaspoon ground cumin½ teaspoon cayenne½ medium onion, diced½ jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced1 tablespoon chopped cilantro1 minced clove garlic
- In a large bowl, add the avocado flesh and just enough lime juice to coat.
- Mash the avocado with the salt, cumin and cayenne until you reach your desired consistency (we like ours a bit chunky!)
- Gently stir in the onion, jalapeno, tomatoes, cilantro and garlic until they’re evenly distributed.
- Add 1 tbsp of the remaining lime juice and stir.
- Refrigerate for an hour, and serve with cucumbers and pepper slices.
6 large eggs2-2 ½ tablespoons mayonnaise2 teaspoon yellow mustardSalt and pepperPaprika, for garnishingMinced parsley or other fresh herbs, for garnishing
- Boil the eggs. Hard boiled are best for devilled eggs as the yolks are easier to integrate into the remaining ingredients.
- Transfer boiled eggs into a bowl of very cold water for 10 minutes. Then peel and slice the eggs lengthwise.
- Scoop out the yolks and place in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Mash the yolks with a fork.
- Add the mayonnaise, mustard and pepper and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to a piping bag, or a plastic freezer bag. If you use the freezer bag, you’ll just need to cut the tip off once you’ve added the mixture but don’t forget to seal the bag!
- Pipe the egg yolks back into the egg whites, top with paprika and serve!
There are a few variations that you, your kids and you guests will love. Try these: Bacon Cheddar Devilled EggsIn step 5, add ½ cup of cheddar to the mixture.In step 7, crumble 4 strips of bacon over the eggs, and add 2 tsp of chives as a garnish in place of the paprika. Dilly Devilled EggsIn step 5, add ¼ cup of finely chopped dill pickles.Just because you’ve got braces doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy delicious snacks! We hope you’ll enjoy these two recipes. To discover more recipes great for new braces, download The Best Foods to Eat With New Braces: Our Favourite Recipes today!