January 30, 2020
Braces-friendly Super Bowl snack ideas
With #SuperBowlLIV this Sunday, we thought we'd share some of our braces-friendly favourites for celebrating the big game! Our #GrinningGuacamole is sure to be a new game-day favourite with delicious cucumber and pepper slices in place of the usual option of tortilla chips. You'll also be tackled for these #docbracesDevilledEggs
3 avocados halved, seeded and peeled
1 juiced lime
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon cayenne
½ medium onion, diced½ teaspoon black pepper
4 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ cup milk
3 cups extra-sharp cheddar
cheese, shredded and divided
2 cans stewed tomatoes
1. In a large bowl, add the avocado flesh and just enough lime juice to coat.
2. Mash the avocado with the salt, cumin and cayenne until you reach your desired consistency (we like ours a bit chunky!)
3. Gently stir in the onion, jalapeno, tomatoes, cilantro and garlic until
they’re evenly distributed.
4. Add 1 tbsp of the remaining lime juice and stir.
5. Refrigerate for an hour, and serve with cucumbers and pepper slices.
6 large eggs
2-2 ½ tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoon yellow mustard
Salt and pepper
Paprika, for garnishing
Minced parsley or other fresh herbs, for garnishing
1. Boil the eggs. Hard boiled are best for devilled eggs as the yolks are easier to integrate into the remaining ingredients.
2. Transfer boiled eggs into a bowl of very cold water for 10 minutes. Then peel and slice the eggs lengthwise.
3. Scoop out the yolks and place in a medium sizedmixing bowl.
4. Mash the yolks with a fork.
5. Add the mayonnaise, mustard and pepper and mix well.
6. Transfer the mixture to a piping bag, or a plastic freezer bag. If you use the freezer bag, you’ll just need to cut the tip off once you’ve added the
mixture but don’t forget to seal the bag!
7. Pipe the egg yolks back into the egg whites, top with paprika and serve!
There are a few variations that you, your kids and you guests will love. Try these:
Bacon Cheddar Devilled Eggs
• In step 5, add ½ cup of cheddar to the mixture.
• In step 7, crumble 4 strips of bacon over the eggs, and add 2 tsp of chives as a garnish in place of the paprika.
Dilly Cheddar Devilled Eggs
• In step 5, add ¼ cup of finely chopped dill pickles.