This document sets out the privacy policies and practices of the Docbraces team.
Personal Information We Collect
Docbraces and its agents and representatives collect personal information through this website, directly from you or a person acting on your behalf, and in a number of other circumstances in order to provide orthodontic, dental and other services to patients, customers and members of the public.
Personal information we collect includes:
- name, address, telephone number, and other contact information;
- account user name, password, profile and usage history, including information submitted through the “Patient Login” section of our website;
- ordering and shipping information, including order details and history about rewards provided through the “My Rewards Hub” section of our website;
- insurance information, credit card, payment history or other financial information;
- demographic and profile data;
- information about an individual’s preferences and feedback on our products and services; and
- such other information we may collect with your consent or as permitted or required by law.
If you are a patient, we may also collect “personal health information” (a sub-category of personal information, as defined and described under applicable privacy legislation) directly from you or from the person acting on your behalf in order to provide orthodontic and dental services. Occasionally, we may also collect personal information about patients from other sources, such as a referring dentist or insurance company, if we have obtained the patient’s consent to do so or if the law permits.
Use of Personal Information
Docbraces generally uses personal information for the following purposes:
- as is reasonably required to provide the requested services, products, or information, including as follows:
- To respond to your specific question or concern (such as if you request a free consultation through our website);
- To deliver orthodontic and dental care to patients, including health assessments and treatment options;
- To establish and maintain communication with patients and potential patients, including to gather and distribute health information and to book and confirm appointments;
- To allow us to efficiently follow-up for treatment, care and billing;
- To communicate with other health-care providers, including specialists and general dentists;
- To comply with dental regulatory requirements, including delivery of patients’ charts and records to the relevant dental regulatory college when required;
- To complete and submit orthodontic and health service claims for third party adjudication, pre-approval and payment;
- To manage patient and client accounts, including invoicing, processing credit card payments and collecting unpaid accounts;
- To enable insurance carriers to assess liability and quantify damage, and to otherwise process requests by you;
- analyzing, developing and improving our product services and offering, including analyzing patient and aggregate data to better understand our user base for business and income purposes;
- providing updates, bulletins or other similar communications about our products and services;
- If you choose this option, providing news, promotions and other communications about products and services we think you may be interested in;
- If you choose this option, providing you with access to your patient information and rewards through the “Patient Login” or “My Rewards Hub” of our website;
- tailoring each individual’s experience on our website and displaying website content according to an individual’s preferences; and
- managing, administering, collecting or otherwise enforcing accounts and processing payments;
- maintaining business records for reasonable periods, and generally managing and administering our business including defending and bringing legal actions;
- meeting legal, regulatory, insurance, security and processing requirements; and
- otherwise with consent or as permitted or required by law.
Disclosure of Your Personal Information
Docbraces may also disclose personal information:
- to other health care providers, insurance carriers, third party collection agencies and regulatory authorities to deliver dental and orthodontic services, ensure patient safety and appropriate treatment, process and submit claims for reimbursement or payment, and comply with health regulatory requirements;
- to our affiliates (including outside of Canada) for internal audit, management, billing or administrative purposes including defending and bringing legal actions;
- to legal, financial, insurance and other advisors in connection with the sale, reorganization or management of all or part of its business or operations;
- as consented to by an individual from time to time, including to fulfill any other purposes that are identified when the personal information is collected; and
- as necessary to meet other legal, regulatory, insurance, audit and security requirements, or as otherwise permitted or required by law.
Docbraces will not use or disclose personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with an individual’s consent or as required or permitted by law.
Docbraces collects certain information automatically through our website. We use web server logs to collect information such as the IP address associated with the computer or device you used to access our website, the dates and times of access, how long you stayed on a certain page, the type of operating system your computer or device has, the search term you entered or link you clicked to bring you to our website, and the websites you went to when you left our website. We also use third-party analytics tools and targeted behavioural advertising to help us measure website traffic and usage trends. This information is used to administer our website, track user movements, and gather demographic information for internal use such as statistical assessments, website improvement and improving user experience.
From time to time, Docbraces may offer interactive services which allow you to share information with other users on this website, such as message boards, user reviews, and payment calculators. By submitting such information, you represent: (a) that you consent to the collection, retention and public disclosure on the website; and (b) that you have obtained the same consent from any other individuals, as applicable.
Docbraces collects, uses and discloses your personal information with your consent, except as permitted or required by law. We may be required or permitted under statute or regulation to collect, use or disclose personal information without your consent, for example to comply with a court order, to comply with local or federal regulations or a legally permitted inquiry by a government agency, or to collect a debt owed to us.
We take reasonable steps to protect your personal information using physical, electronic or procedural security measures appropriate to the sensitivity of the information in our custody or control, which may include safeguards to protect against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification. Authorized employees, agents and mandataries of Docbraces who require access to your personal information in order to fulfil their job requirements will have access to your personal information.
Access, Correction and Contacting Us
930 The East Mall
If you are dissatisfied with the manner in which we have addressed your request for access or correction to your personal information or if you have general concerns about our privacy practices, you may contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner in your province, whose contact information can be found here: